This is one of the best soups I’ve made this year…it tastes just like lasagna. So easy and so good. Thank you Bobby Dean for the recipe!! Another winner I will be making a lot!
- 2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 lb. of ground italian sausage
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 (32 ounce) chicken broth
- 1 (15 ounce) tomato sauce
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) petite dice tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp crushed red peppers
- about 4 broken whole wheat lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
Heat the oil over medium-high heat in a large Dutch oven. Add the sausage, onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until the sausage is crumbled and browned, 8 – 10 minutes.
Add the broth, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, salt, and crushed red pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the flavors are blended, about 20 minutes. Add the noodles; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the soup thickens slightly and the noodles are tender, 10 – 12 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in mozzarella, basil, and the Parmesan. (whole-wheat lasagna noodles take a little longer to cook.)
Serve with your favorite crusty bread or bread sticks. Enjoy!