I recently saw a show on Foodnetwork TV that had some great tips when roasting a chicken and thought I would share:
- Make sure your chicken is completely dry before rubbing it with butter and spices. Allow it to rest at room temperature for about 30 to 60 minutes.
- Be sure to rub the spices and butter under the skin as well as the outside.
- Set your chicken on red potatoes cut in half. They not only replace your rack, but the chicken juices will drip into them adding tons of flavor!
- Cook chicken breast side down at 425 deg. for the first 15 minutes. Lower the temperature to 325 deg. and turn the chicken over to finish cooking. About an hour or until thermometer reads 160 deg. at the thickest part of the inner thigh.
- Let rest before carving to keep in moistness.